Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Very Cozy (Belated) Father's Day


So last Sunday was Father's Day, and being the slacker of a daughter I am, my dad has just now received his Father's Day gift (only 6 days late). Anyway, since Daddy is an avid tea drinker, I decided to knit him a tea cozy. I bought a copy of Tea Cozies 2, which contains 30 adorable tea cozy patterns. It was difficult choosing which one to knit, but I finally settled on this simple yet unique pattern by Paula Coyle entitled "Purple Berry."

When knitted with purple yarn this cozy resembles a blackberry (hence the name), but I chose a different color combination to use some of what I had in my stash, and to make it a little more gender-neutral. The patterns in this book are designed for standard six-cup teapots, and since Daddy's only holds four cups I altered the pattern a little bit in order to get the right size. So if anyone is looking to knit this pattern for a smaller teapot, I would recommend casting on 29 stitches instead of 39, only working the Butterfly stitch pattern once, and the rest is pretty self-explanatory. Additionally, I did find a few errors in the pattern, so here are the changes I made in case if anyone should have a use for them. (Note: These corrections occur at the top joining stage).

Row 1: K2, *(sl5wyif, skpo, k1, k2tog); rep from * to last 7 sts, sl5wyif, k1, sl 1, k1 from holder, psso, k1, cont across sts on holder, rep from * to last 7 sts, sl5wyif, k2tog.
Row 3: *(sl5wyif, k3) rep from * to last 6 sts, sl5wyif, k1.
Row 4: Purl across.
(Complete rows 3 and 4 as opposed to repeating rows 1 and 2 as stated in the pattern.)
Omit row 9.

Apart from these small errors I really loved this pattern, and found it relatively simple to knit while still not being boring.

Happy Knitting!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are trying to knit the purple berry tea cozy and having difficulty,We are stuck at the beginning where is says "work in pattern for 40 rows (2 rps)" before "join top".
we dont know how to do the butterfly stitch pattern, the book states "see instructions" but we can't find any! Can you help pleease, thanx

Virginia said...

Hi, I'm so sorry I didn't see this comment until just now! Just in case you still need help I'll go ahead and answer even though it's probably been a long time since you commented.

The Butterfly Stitch Pattern is in the middle column on page 83, and you're just supposed to work through that pattern before doing the "Join Top" section. Since that pattern makes 20 rows, you're supposed to do it twice, creating 40 rows total. I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!